I started my career in education because I wanted to live in Italy and earn money while I did so. I stayed for a while because I wanted to make a difference in the life possibilities of those who needed it.
I finished a doctorate in curriculum and instruction, but instead of going into academia, I decided to go into educational administration. Below I wrote what I knew about all the different subjects that I had taught in order to help the teachers who I was training.
At various points in my life, I’ve learned 4 languages to advanced levels, and I really enjoy connecting with others in these languages. Teaching languages was a natural step for me. But it’s not always easy to do. In the below posts, I wrote what I found to be the most helpful in getting students to achieve high.
- Get Students Practicing Language With Video
- Creative Ways to Practice Reading Comprehension in A Languages Classroom
- Resources for Immersing Students in the Spanish Language
- Study Techniques You Should Teach Your Language Students
- How to Add More Fun to Your Language Lessons
- How to Incorporate Kinesthetic Activities in A Language Class
- How to Incorporate Photos in Language Lessons
- How to Get Students Speaking the Target Language
- Reflective Communication with Google Hangouts on Air + Videonot.es
- Incorporating Voice, Choice, and Student Inquiry in Your Languages Class
Humanities education is invaluable for understanding how our societies got to where they are today. Though, needless to say, the humanities can be controversial and can be rather boring. In the below posts, I wrote strategies that I found to make humanities education engaging for everyone involved.
- What to Do (And Not Do) When Gamifying History Education
- Google Apps for Teaching Culture
- Strategies for Dealing with Controversy in Humanities Class
- Strategies for Teaching Breadth AND Depth in Humanities
- Discussion Strategies for History Class
- Professional Learning to Make You an Excellent History Teacher
- How To Develop Student Writing Through Social Studies
- Resources for Teaching The News
- Engage Students in Your History Lesson
- How To Teach ELL Students In History Class
- Take Your Education Career Overseas to Broaden Your Cultural Horizons
- Strategies to Teach Reading Comprehension in A Social Studies Classroom
After working in language and humanities education for several years, I switched to educational technology, because I felt like it had the most potential to make education more effective.
- 7 Edtech Strategies for A Recent 1:1 Rollout
- Coaching vs. Mentoring Technology Integration in Education
- How And Why You Should Teach Visual Literacy
- Technology Integration in Public Education
- Expanding International Education via The Digital World
- Leveling Up a Tier with Technology Integration
- Maximizing Training Potential for GAFE
- 21st Century Skills and Educational Technology
- 3 Tiers of Technology Integration in Education
- Integrate Apps in Evaluations to Maximize Student Achievement
- Interactive Digital Portfolios Across The Curriculum
- Just-In-Time Support for Instructional Technology
- Social Media for Professional Learning
- Curricular Change for a Successful BYOD Implementation